Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Auby Blog #Vegas/Camelback Ramblings

On a road trip from Phoenix to Vegas via the new Mike O'Callaghan/Pat Tillman bridge.  The Patt Tillman foundation coordinates Pat's run http://www.pattillmanfoundation.org/pats-run/ which is on April 16th.  If you register before April 9th it's $42 opposed to $50.00 for race week.  I have yet to participate in this run, but I am there this year!!!  Who's going with me?  Who doesn't want to end a 4 plus mile run on the 42 yard line at Sun Devil Stadium?  Ok, my Pat Tillman plug/rambling is over back to the meat of this blog.
I believe the trip time was significantly reduced due to the new Hoover Dam Bypass bridge
http://www.hooverdambypass.org/.  As the designated trip mule I provided a cooler full of beverages and food for my fellow revelers.  I don't want to mention how everything on the Las Vegas Strip is extremely over priced.  Well, yes that is just a part of Vegas a visitor just has to take in stride.  It's like a spiritual vortex except the money gets sucked into a black hole, with no personal or spiritual attainment.  What is the attraction?  Why are all these people walking aimlessly down this street called the strip?  To quote Hunter S Thompson:  "There was madness in any direction, at any hour.  You could strike sparks anywhere.  There was a fantastic universal sense that anything we were doing was right, that we were winning."  We find ourselves gambling at a Baccarat table being served by beautiful women at 4am in the morning.  Just like previous trips to this self induced tourist trap which specializes masochism.  There was going to be a certain justification for my actions.  Payment for my sins.  It was like all the other trips, the ride home was unbearable and ungodly.


   Hey Auby.  Isn't this blog suppose to be about hiking?  Ah yes.  It was a hike up the back side of the Camelback in South Scottsdale.  The Chola trail offers a subtle start to a more torrid segment which leads to the summit.  This trail is a nice alternative to the more popular Echo Canyon trail head.  Many people ask about dog friendly hikes, and this is one of them.  However, with dogs I recommend hiking to the pad of pavement short of the torrid segment to the top.  It must be prime time for hiking Camelback, as there were a bunch of hikers a top the summit enjoying a near perfect March day.  As the weather heats up I recommend heading to higher elevations.  I am planning a hiking trip in early April to 4peaks to try and escape the heat.  Any takers?  Let me know.     




No comments:

Post a Comment